There’s no way around it — the Shostakovich quartets are intense, like page-turning thrillers, as they pull you into his world.
After years of stock characters, [Viola] was thrilled to play a real protagonist, a fully developed, conflicted, somewhat mysterious woman. “It’s what I’ve had my eye on for so long,” she said. “It’s time for people to see us, people of color, for what we really are: complicated.” | x |
i was tagged by twerk-alittletenderness
Truths about me
Rules: Once you’ve been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 92 Truths about you.
At the end, choose 25 people And you don’t tag anyone else and just leave it.
WHAT WAS YOUR:
1. last beverage — water
2. last phone call — my mom, to let her know my blanket had been found
3. last text message — I’m packing now and I’m simultaneously stunned by how much and how little I have to take
4. last song you listened to — Biggie Smalls feat. Thomas The Tank Engine
5. last time you cried — When cutting onions a few weeks back.
HAVE YOU EVER:
6. dated someone twice — no
7. been cheated on — no
8. kissed someone & regretted it — Yes. It was a bad and impulsive decision.
9. lost someone special — Yes.
10. been depressed — Eh, probably. Not officially diagnosed, but I have my bouts of melancholy
11. been drunk and threw up — no. Never even been drunk
LIST THREE FAVORITE COLORS: blue, green, gold. I’m terrible at colors
LAST YEAR (2013), HAVE YOU:
15. Made a new friend — Yep
16. Fallen out of love — Last year? It was so long ago…No?
17. Laughed until you cried — I’m not a crier, though I’ve laughed plenty.
18. Met someone who changed — Changed through the course of our getting to know one another? No?
19. Found out who your true friends are — Really my social life isn’t half exciting enough to merit phrases like “Found out who your true friends are”. Now, to answer the question, I’ve drifted away from some people, but it’s amicable and no one’s fault.
20. Found out someone was talking about you — I’m honestly super curious about if people talk about me and what’s said [Isn’t everyone?]. But I’ve never found out, much less found out last year.
21. Kissed anyone on your FB friend’s list — Yep.
22. How many people on your FB friends list do you know in real life — I’m pretty sure I’ve met everyone in real life, though there are plenty I’m merely acquainted with
24. Do you have any pets — Nope. Couldn’t have pets growing up and don’t have them now. Nor do I anticipate getting pets.
25. Do you want to change your name — I’ve always thought my last name is kinda weak because it ends in an “s”; I wish it ended in a stronger, more resolute sound. But no, I don’t want to change my name. I identify with it too much and it’s a fairly good name.
26. What did you do for your last birthday — I went to rehearsal, which is what I did last year. I like rehearsal, though, so it’s all good. Nothing like Shakespeare with friends!
27. What time did you wake up today — I woke up around 8, I think, but went back to sleep to wake up at 11
28. What were you doing at midnight last night- Probably napping because I was too lazy to get ready for bed
29. Name something you CANNOT wait for — the production of Tempest next spring at school.
30. Last time you saw your Mother — 10 minutes ago
31. What is one thing you wish you could change about your life— Having a job would be nice. Having a clear life direction would be nice. Having a loving partner would be nice. Having a car would be. Oh, one thing?
32. What are you listening to right now — The sounds of The Roosevelts in the next room.
33. Have you ever talked to a person named Tom?— Who hasn’t?
34. What’s getting on your nerves right now? — The time it’s taking for my ears to just get back to normal
36. Most visited webpage — Tumblr
37. Nickname — Cam, Cammy Cams (only two or three people do it and they’re close to me. I don’t mind that people do it, but I appreciate that it’s our thing), Coochie
38. Relationship Status — Do see above, and then look back down while I invite you to a cooking and Netflix date, which I’ll fumble because I’m awkward as middle schoolers performing Sondheim
39. Zodiac sign — Cancer
40. He or She — I’m a he.
41. Elementary- my dear Watson!
43. College — Much less stressful than high school though not a walk in the park. It’s a little frightening to consider what comes next but for now I’ll try and enjoy it. Excited to finally go back.
44. Hair color — Brown. My natural hair color always looks a bit mousy to me, but once it’s exposed to some sun there are some highlights that make it prettier
45. Long or short — Currently short. I dislike having such short hair, since my hair’s usually a few inches long. I kinda want to grow it out, just to see what it’s like.
46. Height — 5’ 8.75”
47. Do you have a crush on someone? — Yep. Just one right now; it’s annoying and tiring to want what you can’t have, but I think I’m doing better.
48. What do you like about yourself? — Um my charm? My intelligence? My cooking skills? My eyes? Question mark?
50. Tattoos — No, nor do I plan on getting them. I do think watercolor tattoos are cool, though
51. Righty or lefty — right
52. First surgery — When I was a few days old I had surgery on congenital tracheoesphageal fistula. The surgeon later said it was like sewing wet tissue paper together. Don’t worry, I’m alright.
53. First piercing — I’ve never even set foot inside Claire’s
54. First best friend — First best friend? God, I don’t know
55. First sport you joined — tennis
56. First vacation — Um LA?
58. First pair of trainers — What?
59. Eating — Recently finished homemade macaroni and cheese
60. Drinking — water
61. I’m about to — go on my last nightwalk before leaving for school
62. Listening to — Still listening to the Roosevelts in the next room, my are mister and missus gettin’ on *wink*
63. Waiting for — financial stability
64. Want kids? — Maybe? Depending on what I do I don’t think I’d be able to give a child what it needs. Maybe one or two.
65. Get Married? — I’d like to.
66. Career? — Um, yeah, so about that… Classics or theatre. I do feel a greater pull towards theatre. Some kind of performance. Straight plays, musical theatre, improv, it’s all good. I’d want to try opera, even, though I’m still figuring out if the voice has potential. I might also have a knack for writing, though I don’t exercise those muscles often. God, the uncertainty…
WHICH IS BETTER :
67. Lips or eyes — eyes
68. Hugs or kisses — Well I don’t know much about kissing and what little I do know has hardly been illuminating, so I’d say hugs.
69. Shorter or taller — No preference.
70. Older or Younger — No preference, though at this point I’d prefer to be closer in age than not.
71. Romantic or spontaneous — No experience here either.
72. Nice stomach or nice arms — Stomach
73. Sensitive or loud — sensitive
74. Hook-up or relationship — I flirt with the idea of a hook-up but it’s all talk. Relationship, please.
75. Trouble maker or hesitant — Both can be sexy. What kind of trouble are we talking, though?
HAVE YOU EVER :
76. Kissed a stranger — I’ve kissed an acquaintance, but not a random stranger.
77. Drank hard liquor — No
78. Lost glasses/contacts — Ugh yes. I like my new pair of classes better, though.
79. Sex on first date — Probs not
80. Broke someone’s heart — I have no idea.
81. Had your own heartbroken — Yep
82. Been arrested — Nope
83. Turned someone down — No
84. Cried when someone died — Yep. Only once.
85. Fallen for a friend — That’s basically how I roll *cringes at self*
DO YOU BELIEVE IN:
86. Yourself — I don’t think about it that much, so I suppose the default is yes?
87. Miracles — I don’t really care?
88. Love at first sight — This is where I’ll be annoying and say “love” is a small word that means a large number of things. I think lust/erotic love can be at first sight, but platonic or romantic love take some time.
89. Heaven — Not lately, but it’s pleasant to think something’s there
90. Santa Claus — I don’t know if i ever believed in him strongly. I was a rather passive child.
91. Kiss on the first date — Eh, I guess so
92. Angels — See above
‘It is, it’s one of the greatest parts you’ll ever play as an actress. Except it’s the reverse of Hamlet because he spends three hours worrying and does nothing, whereas Medea takes an hour and 15, massacres the whole fucking stage and walks off. But it’s great because she uses every shred of femininity that she has to do it, and she also has the complexity of guilt.’
The Happy Hypocrite by Max Beerbohm
Max Beerbohm’s (1872-1956) adult fairy tale, The Happy Hypocrite, is sometimes described as a more lighthearted version of Oscar Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Gray. It is the story of a thoroughly immoral man who deceives a young woman into marriage by wearing a mask. Through his love for his wife he is then transformed into a good and humble human being.
The short story first appeared in the literary periodical The Yellow Book in 1896 and was later published 1897. In 1900 it was adapted into a stage show starring the formidable Mrs Patrick Campbell and was revived again in 1936 with Vivien Leigh. The edition in the photographs with colour illustrations by George Sheringham was published by John Lane in November, 1918.
George Bernard Shaw gave Beerbohm the lasting epithet “the Incomparable Max” and his other works include Zuleika Dobson which was ranked 59th on the Modern Library list of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century. He was also a popular caricaturist whose work appeared in all the fashionable periodicals of his time. Major collections of Beerbohm’s caricatures can be found in the Ashmolean Museum, the Tate collection and the Victoria and Albert Museum.
The illustrator George Sheringham is best known for his theatrical designs for D’Oyly Carte Opera Company for which he created sets for productions including H.M.S. Pinafore and The Pirates of Penzance.
For further book scraps, please follow on Twitter.
"Will it be birds in spring or harakiri" doesn’t sound like it should be in the Sondheim musical that it’s in.